The new FrostWire 5.5.6 (codenamed “Bullet”) has an overhaul of its search architecture now borrowing code from the android version which has been meant to be more efficient in terms of CPU and memory usage for reduced battery consumption and faster response times on less reliable networks. The desktop version now benefits from the mobile development efforts.
By Integrating with The Internet Archive’s search API FrostWire users benefit from having access to the largest online database of public domain and creative commons works of the internet. Over 7 million works are indexed and more are added every day. This release is a dream come true for the FrostWire team, we know users world wide will be empowered by the breadth of content they’ll now have access to thanks to the Internet Archive project.
Chinese and other foreign character support has been improved in the areas of search result display, Library display and media playback hopefully opening up the doors to new markets for file sharing in China and Chinese Mandarin speakers worldwide.
frostwire (5.5.6) stable; urgency=high
* New Feature: Includes search results from archive.org, which indexes
millions of public domain and creative commons works from all over the
* New Feature: playlist songs can be re-ordered with drag and drop.
* New Feature: all songs in a playlist can now be exported to a folder.
* Upgrade: Improved Unicode support for Chinese characters.
* Upgrade: mplayer update for unicode character file playback support.
* Upgrade: Search architecture upgrade for much faster search results.
* Upgrade: Considerably faster mp3,mp4 parsing in the library, creating
playlists is now faster than ever.
* Upgrade: New more explicit Wi-Fi sharing icons.
* Upgrade: Updated radio station database.
* Upgrade: up to 20% faster listing of files in the Library.
* Upgrade: Video player upgrades for better experience.
* Bug fix: screen-saver no longer kicks in during video playback.
* Bug fix: UPnP Wi-Fi sharing discovery consumes 84% less CPU on
congested local networks. Fixing reported slowdowns and reducing
considerable power consumption for laptop users.
* Bug fix: X11 related error fix.
* Bug fix: Number of files being shared includes the number of torrents
* Bug fix: Library search issues related to unicode characters.
* Bug fix: Multiple null pointer exceptions and crashes fixed.
* Bug fix: Fixed rendering issue related to wrong parsing of bitrate
* Upgrade: (Developers) ant compilation scripts cleanup.
* Upgrade: (Developers) use of ‘frostwire-commons’ repository to share
common code between FrostWire for Android and Desktop projects.
— FrostWire Team <email@example.com> Mon, 22 Apr 2013 05:58:00 -0500